Friday, June 4, 2010

Adam Lambert's Glam Nation Tour Will Sizzle Your Summer!





 By Michael Perlman

This summer certainly won't be a cold, lonely summer. It's guaranteed to be a sizzler....so pack your bags, get glammed up, and you're in for an Adamaaaazing experience!!! TODAY marks Adam Lambert's first ever Nationwide tour, known as the Glam Nation Tour, which features 70 shows within 3 months. First stop: Wilkes-Barre, PA! Tickets are selling out rapidly, so more shows have been added, and presumably more will be squeezed in, since Adam's shows are all about the fans.

This will be a new dimension, as you visualize yourself immersed in a turn-of-the-century New Orleans ambiance, and feel the vibe of psychedelic classic rock, with visual references to people like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison and Keith Richards. "I'm inviting the audience to take a journey with me into this emotional and thematic world," says Adam Lambert. 

During an exclusive conference call session on June 2nd, Adam Lambert explained his vision for the show. "I had a song that came out on my remix EP that was a track written for the album. It's called Voodoo. It's a real fun, sexy, modern disco-type song with a lot of visual references to New Orleans and mysticism; a crystal ball, voodoo, magic kind of look. I kind of fell in love again with the song, and I wanted to include it in the concert." He then explained "I did travel to New Orleans last year. I'm telling you, there's something about New Orleans. There's a feeling there that's really powerful. There's so much culture, history, and tradition. There's a palpable sensuality. The history of voodoo is fascinating. It has a dark side, but I'm taking that dark side and making it super theatrical, and not to be taken too seriously."


Linda Perlman of Perlman PR was one of many participants in the exclusive conference call session. This is what was asked, followed by Adam's response:

I understand you're putting a love spell on us by opening your show with the song Voodoo. Why do you think your fans are already under your spell? Do you feel it's the sign of Aquarius extending love through your creativity, magnetism, and mesmerizing traits?

Adam chuckled and said "That's sweet... I love the way you put that!" He then explained "Especially with this tour, I have honed in on kind of the spiritual quality of performance. I mean, there is something really magical that happens between you and an audience when you’re really connected. And my fans have been so dedicated and passionate about what I do, and yeah, I knew that now that I’ve gotten to know them, that the show was really built for the fans. It was really built for these people that have been so supportive, and the songs that they really love and songs that I feel thematically like lyrically and sonically really sum me up and kind of express that exchange, that magic that happens."

To another participant on the conference call, Adam stated "The first part of the show will be more about seduction and venturing into the unknown, taking chances, and mystery, intrigue, and sexiness. The midpoint explores heartbreak and vulnerability. The latter half is celebration and joy, and love and connection."

Adam had a hand in selecting his opening acts. He was intent on giving Allison Iraheta the stage. He said "I love her to death, she's extremely talented, and I want more and more people to be aware of her music. Her album is incredible!" He also selected Orianthi, since she is in the same management company as he is. "She's really sweet, super-talented, and I thought she'd be a good counterpart."

When Adam writes, it is based on his personal experiences. The songs he selected for the album were ones he could relate to specifically, but in reality, he could emote to all of them. There may be 1 or 2 cover songs, but he is leaving that as something marking great anticipation. He feels it was really difficult to pick one song that best represents Adam as an artist, since every song on the album is a reflection upon the artistry within him. "For me, it was really important to have an album that was super diverse, showing different elements of my personality." 

Adam will be exploring a look known as "Steampunk," which is Victorian-era fashion mixed with modern punk rock elements. "I had a lot of fun with my costume designer," Adam stated. "We're working with a fashion line called Skingraft designs. I've worn a lot of their pieces in the past on Idol."

"I'm bringing in people I've worked with already, and whose talent I respected," Adam said. His choreographer, Brooke Wendle is a friend of his. They were in Wicked for over three years, and there is also a dancer on board, who was also a cast member. His guitar player, Monte, is someone he used to have a band with, and has been on the road with him for the past seven months.

His inspiration for the Glam Nation tour stemmed from growing up around pop tours, and some of his role models included Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Paula Abdul; the latter of which was his earliest recollection of a tour. That was complemented by his musical theater background. "People that put on a show, take their music and create a visual, and a story and a theme, and kind of reinterpret a song both musically and visually, to give it a context. I definitely wanted it to be first and foremost about the music. A close second is giving the audience something to look at, giving them a reason that this is the next song in the set. There's a thematic through-line throughout the show."

When Adam asks Whataya Want From Me?, we now have a hunch of great expectations, but nothing comes close to the Real McCoy live, mere steps away. You can Strut to hear Music Again For Your Entertainment, and you will be amongst the Sure Fire Winners. One can only desire, If I Had You....ADAM LAMBERT!

Related articles:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2010/06/adam-lambert-talks-glam-nation-tour-more/1

http://www.ainow.org/index.php/tidbits/2793-adam-lambert-talks-to-media-about-his-upcoming-tour-


http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/around-town/events/Adam-Lamberts-Grand-Plans-for-Foxwoods-Show--95431429.html


http://www.billboard.com/news/adam-lambert-promises-sexy-but-tasteful-10...
 

13 comments:

  1. This will be my "summer of love". I will get to see Adam more than once and I can barely wait for the magic to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, I am so excited for this tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great article. Adam is so talented. He is our "Magic Man". This is sure to be an epic tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fantastic article! only gets me more pumped :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article! So looking forward to seeing his concert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic article and a great site! I can't wait to see Adam on tour multiple times this summer. Excellent interview and I loved your question to Adam. It was so unique to Adam and showed great insight into his personality and interests. It is fantastic that he recognizes what his fans want and he wants to give it to us! There is no other artist comparable to Adam. He is a phenomenon and a force who has yet to unleash his full impact on the world. Hang on tight because he will be like a tsunami! What a ride we are in for this summer. Thank you for such a great site! I'll look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Linda and Mike wish you luck in this endeavor, loved your article,great question and answer with Adam.Gonna keep an eye on this site, look forward to the perspective that you will bring with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Perlman,
    Your words inspire and seemingly capture what is the essence of our shaman, Adam Lambert. Thanks for putting this in format.
    I will add that our Adam reveals so much of himself, and, even more with each performance. Yes, he is, or magic man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful article! I love the question and Adam's response. He is always so sweet. Mr. Adam Lambert certainly will transport us to another dimension and we'll be so lucky to enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great job Michael and Linda. Loved your question to Adam, "Why do you think your fans are already under your spell?" I think he knows exactly why we fans are under his spell. :) This is a fantastic article. I can't wait to read what more you will be writing; keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your question Linda...and Adam's reply was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article and great questions! :) Enjoyed reading this!
    -Ariana Rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda and Michael, this article is fantastic!! Your question was AMAZING too! I am so glad he answered it :)) I love when Adam talks about the fans! Your passion for Adam really shows in this blog, and I can't wait to read more! ~ Vanessa Dean

    ReplyDelete